Thursday, November 12, 2009

Who Am I and What do I do?

I am known in the Regina area as "Swimcoach Jason", I am very fortunate to be coaching some great people in Masters swimming and in the Trialthon game. I coach the Regina masters Swim Team, City of Regina Masters Noon Hours, Level 10 Fitness, I also coach the Regina Marlins and advise Synchro Regina on aquatics training.

In a pervious life I was a full time swim coach in the UK working at the University of bath with Ian Turner (Great Britain Head Coach) and Andrei Voronstov (now head coach of Russia). I was lucky to have a great bunch of swimmers and assistant coaches striving for swimming at a high level. I was on the British swimming world class potential team as a team coach. I coached successfully with the Regina Dolphins with Jasen Pratt and have had high performance trips for Sakatchewan. I also represented Canada as a team coach to an International meet in the US with the Canadian Para Olympic swiming team.

In the Beginning.....


It would seem that the whole world is blogging but me. I'll see how it goes, as I was never a very good diary keeper. For those who know me I have a nerdy/geeky obsession with all things swimming, even synchro.....yes even that.

It was the summer of 1976 that my life really changed. A small little event called the Olympic Games was on. in very strange and foriegn land. Representing Great Britain David Wilkie a moustashioed God would win the 200m Breaststroke breaking the world record by 3 seconds (by the way he way the 1st high level swimmer to wear a swim cap in races). I was in awe, the whole familly was crammed around the B&W TV set and cheering. That was it, i wanted to swim like him. So I begged my parents to take me swimming.

The following summer I was watching Patrick Duffy and Ron Ely in the mid 70's. Patrick was the man from Atlantis and Ron was Tarzan and both had adventures that involved lots of swimming. I remember clearly my cousin Wayne and I spending all summer playing "man from Atlantis" and taking turns at who was tarzan and who was the crocodile, at the Halifax Baths in the town centre of Halifax West Yorkshire, England. we could swim underwater doing dolphin kicking better than swimming on the surface. Come to think of it all this underwater stuff that Michael Phelps and Natalie Coughlan do so well, was actually started in the 70's with Patrick Duffy (who knew?).

What should I blog about?

I will endevour to put up some interesting training sets, points of techneque, ideas for pacing and news from either the local and the international scene. stay tuned for futher details.......

No comments:

Post a Comment